- audit trail
: a record of a sequence of events (as actions performed by a computer) from which a history of those events may be reconstructed
* * *1. Accounting. the process or an instance of cross-referring each bookkeeping entry to its source in order to facilitate checking its accuracy.2. Computers. a track of a particular item of output data back through the processing steps that produced it to the corresponding input data.[1965-70]
* * *audit trail noun (computing)The record of the file updating that takes place during a specific transaction• • •Main Entry: ↑audit
* * *information that is recorded, for example on paper or in a computer, and that proves that events happened in a particular wayThesaurus: proof and evidencesynonym
* * *audit trail,a record of the passage of data in a computer or data processing machine, used especially to trace data from an output back to the original or source items: »
the computer's audit trail—the internal monitoring system that can record all significant actions of the users (New Yorker).
* * *ˈaudit trail 7 [audit trail] nounthe detailed record of information on paper or on a computer that can be examined to prove what happened, for example what pieces of business were done and what decisions were made
There is an audit trail by way of tax invoices which VAT auditors can follow.
Useful english dictionary. 2012.